Caperdonich 1969 The Cross Hill is a beautiful vintage single malt from the now-closed Caperdonich distillery. It was distilled all the way back in 1969 and matured for more than 40 years. It was bottled in 2010 at a cask strength of 46.4% by German independent bottler Jack Wiebers Whisky World. Only 147 bottles of Caperdonich 1969 The Cross Hill were released. The Speyside distillery Caperdonich was built in 1898 by the founders of Glen Grant (it was originally simply called ‘Glen Grant #2’). It closed after only four years, and didn’t open again until 1965. By that time it had become illegal to have two distilleries using the same name, so it was renamed ‘Caperdonich’, meaning ‘secret well’ in Gaelic. Pernod Ricard purchased Caperdonich in 2001 and closed it only a year later. The distillery was demolished in 2010.