The Labrot & Graham distillery was founded by Elijah Pepper around 1812. After his death, his son Oscar Pepper took over, giving a name to the site: the Oscar Pepper Distillery. With the help of Dr. James Crow, a Scotsman by birth, they began experimenting with different distilling techniques, to create the perfect bourbon (their yearly Master’s Reserve release is a hommage to their pioneering work). James Graham from Frankfort and French wine merchant Leopold Labrot bought the distillery in 1878 and renamed it to its current name. Until 1994, ownership changed several times, until Brown-Forman took over. They have been producing Woodford Reserve there ever since. This Woodford Reserve Distiller’s Select – Batch 1 is still labeled as a Labrot & Graham bourbon whiskey.